Friday, May 15, 2009

8 - Lilacs: My Top 10 Favorite Plants

I didn't purchase a single one of these lilacs. I dug each of them up from random people's yards. I then dug them up and moved them all again. That's why they're a little on the small side. Travis likes to call them "scrawny."

Another reason they're scrawy, is because I was inspired to prune the lilacs to be more like trees. What seems like forever ago, I saw pictures of a town/island on the east coast known for lilacs (can't remember the name) and all the lilacs were trees and not bushes. I think they look elegant this way. So, until they fill in and get more mature they'll continue to be on the scrawny side. This doesn't bother me since they still produce beautiful fragrant flower clusters and for some reason I can be patient with these plants.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

And YES, we have a movie screen on the back of our garage. Nothing compares to watching movies outside in the summer. In the garden.



1 comment:

  1. I have a lilac in a tree form at the back of my house. I did not take care of it, so the bloom is short and poor. I think I will read up on how to maintain and fertilize it. If you have any tips, let me know. =)

    ReplyDelete