Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Friend Mr. Squirrel

Here is Mr. Squirrel. He comes out of hiding about this time every year and is such a joy. He just sits up in his tree and nibbles on his walnut stash. I've never had a problem with him eating any bulbs or plants (that I know of anyway).

He's a good squirrel because of the two giant walnut trees in my neighbor's yard (in the picture he's sitting in one of them). The larger of the two trees hangs over the fence into my front yard.

Mr. Squirrel has a good life. We all love him and he has dibs on all the walnuts his little heart desires. He not only has some buried in my garden, but I bet he's got a huge stockpile somewhere (just incase).

These walnut trees are beautiful with their light green feathery leaves. It's a bit of a pain in autumn when the walnuts start dropping out of the tree like little bombs - you really garden at your own risk. Then in the spring I have to seek and destroy all the walnut tree saplings. Other than that, I love the tree and my friend Mr. Squirrel.

1 comment: